Thursday, September 8, 2011

Chelsea not a club for 'Big' strikers

Two of my favorite strikers, Andriy Shavchenko and Fernando Torres. Different story but same fate at Chelsea.
Andriy Shavchenko
I have been following his remarkable performances in European Champions League since his days at Dynamo Kiev. Top marksman.
I was elated when he moved to AC Milan. One of my favorite european clubs, he was a good striker after the Dutch master; Marco Van Basten era. Scored loads of goals for Milan too.
Then he moved to Chelsea. Things never turn out exactly as I hoped for. Although I am not a Blues fan, but I was sad for Shavchenko because he is such a good player.
Fernando Torres.
My favorite team in Spanish league has to be Real Madrid. But when Atletico played I will find an opportunity. This is due to 1 player and that is Fernando Torres.
So powerful, very skillful and to me he is a complete striker. I've always wanted him to move to England and to play for another of my favorite club; Liverpool.
My prayers were answered when he was brought to Melwood by Rafa Benitez who was then the manager.
Scored loads of goals and was a key player for the Reds. His partnership with Captain Steven Gerrard was a nightmare to all premiership clubs.
January 2011, he moved to Chelsea and has only scored 1 goal. He never re-captured his scintillating free goal scoring form.
My question is ... Why Chelsea?
We have other players who became a flop after moving to England. Diego Forlan never really got a hit at United. Dzeko struggled last season but seemed to find his footing this season. Fernando Morientes failed at Liverpool.
All 3 players at a different club. We can assume they are not suited to the English game. Dzeko maybe just needs more time which I think he is finally settling life there.
But to have 2 world class players in 1 club to failed miserably, is that coincidence? Drogba is the only striker to performed up to expectations. Besides Torres and Shavchenko, Anelka never really is a prolific striker as well.
Is it because having too many strikers at Chelsea? Is it because the style of play?
Why Torres can be so dangerous when he was at Liverpool? He even managed to score a couple of goals under Dalglish?
Shavchenko, he is basically a legend at Milan and of course at Dynamo Kiev?
Lost of form? It is way too long for a player of their stature to lost confidence for so long. Shavchenko, a top marksman for his country, played for Kiev in champions league, won various honors at Milan should be able to regain his form. Same goes for Torres, a world cup and european winners medal, played for a club with a great history should be able to manage the expectations.
Should Torres leave Chelsea?
The recent international game between Spain and Lichtenstein, Torres was not even named in the sub showed how bad his situation.
He may need to reconsider his future if he still wants to play for his country. Maybe he can request to be transfer listed in January. But where should he go?
Only he knows best.

Powered by Telkomsel BlackBerry®

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Will he swallow his pride & go back to Liverpool & be a squad player? I doubt that. But I think the Kops are willing to accept him back once he apologizes & decides to return. Torres was made for Liverpool. Too bad he jumped ship at the wrong time.

Red4eva