Friday, October 14, 2011

A view from a fan

Recently there has been many 'talks' about our National team, especially after the lost against Australian National team in a friendly game.

Since our exploits in last year's AFF Suzuki Cup where we became the champions, interests from the public has been immense. Everyone seems to 'love' the national team at the moment. The current players are compared to past heroes. Safee Sali and the late Mokhtar Dahari. Safiq Rahim and Azizol Abu Haniffa. Khairul Fahmi with Arumugam and the list goes on. Everyone felt so proud, even the Prime Minister declared 1 day of public holiday to the nation for the team's achievements.

I can't blame the people when I myself felt the same. It has been so long since we really won any major tournament in this region.

I never really got to see the great Supermokh played. Well I did but not when at his prime. His goals against England 'B' and Arsenal came to me as a story told by someone else. How the Japanese and Koreans felt 'fear' whenever they know that Supermokh will be in the line-up for Malaysia. And it was not only Supermokh, we had Dato Soh Chin Aun, R Arumugam, Santokh Sigh and many more. 

After their era then came Zainal Abidin Hassan, Dollah Salleh, Rashid Hassan, Azizol Abu Haniffah, Subadron Aziz, Mat Zan Mat Aris and Lim Teong Kim. I watched the final against Singapore from home when we won the Sea games gold medal in 1989. It was a fantastic game. And after that our football just went into wilderness.

The nation-wide bribery scandal, the debacles against the Philippines, Vietnam and Myanmar. Not only we were left behind by the Japanese and Koreans, we couldn't even conquer South East Asia. It was that bad until now we are ranked 147 in FIFA rankings. 

We had local coaches, foreign coaches, we even hired Claude Le Roy and there were no results. From Asian giants we became South East Asian minnows. 

Everything started to look brighter two years ago, when after nearly 20 years we won the gold medal in the sea games. I still remembered how I rushed from the office that evening ~ with my national black and yellow stripes jersey to catch the final between Vietnam and Malaysia. I watched alone at a mamak cafe.

It wasn't a 'pretty' game by the Malaysians. But I liked what I saw. Skill wise we were just 'ok'. But I saluted their 'effort' and spirit to win that game. It showed in each and everyone of the players faces. I felt proud. I was a proud Malaysian that evening. Regardless how we've won it, but I could say we deserved it. The players deserved it.

Then came Asian games. We were 9-men against the host nation China, but we fought hard. With so many injuries and suspension to the more experienced players, head coach K Rajagopal had to do with what he had. And the boys came back with their head held high.

After the Asian games, the Malaysians continued their good display in the AFF Suzuki Cup. The 1st game was not a game to be remembered. We were beaten 5-1 by the host team, Indonesia. I thought the Malaysians played well that night. It must have been an outside factor that influenced the result. Indonesia played very well plus they had the support from their fans. Everyone knows how difficult it is to play in Gelora Bung Karno. 

We drew against Thailand and we defeated another team to proceed to the semi-final against Vietnam. The rest is history as they say. 

What I want to stressed is how the boys played. From the Sea games to the AFF Suzuki Cup. They worked hard, they don't seem to get jittered by the occasion. They stuck to the game plan that was given by the coach. I believe that was the key. They were a disciplined bunch of players.

Everyone wants to see the National team's success in every game. But for me, since we are ranked so low and our status in this region has become from bad to worst, I'm not asking much. I just want to see 100% commitment from the players. I want to see their proud faces when they don the National jersey. I want to feel goosebumps when they sang the National anthem. I saw that up until they won the AFF Suzuki Cup. 

Recently, those things that I have mentioned, seemed to fade away. The usually dependable back-line became so generous and leaky. The front-line can't seem to score, we can't be depending on Safee Sali and Idlan Talaha all the time. The other strikers just don't have that x-factor in international games. And we always had to depend too much on Khairul Fahmi the keeper. 

We lost to Singapore in the world cup qualifier. Some might argue Singapore were helped by their 'imports'. To me, it was a no-brainer. The Singaporeans wanted it more. The passion, desire, commitment that I saw from the Sea games until the AFF Suzuki cup went missing. I know they've tried their best, but it was not 100%. These boys do have potential. They are still young and they can still improve, in this region at least.

K Rajagopal has done a tremendous job. He brought back the belief to the nation, he brought back the togetherness of the whole nation, he brought back the fans. Bravo and thank you to coach Rajagopal. 

He must have started a 'revolution'. But I think it is time for the national team to change the coach. I'm a person who believed in 'why fix things that is not broken?'. But in this case, the national team is not 'broken' yet, it's just maybe Rajagopal and his boys have reach their maximum limit. A change of style from a new coach might help to improve the boys and the team to get better. I will still see Rajagopal as a person who laid the 'foundation'.

Keep the players and the team, but find a better coach so we can move forward. It's just a thought. I just want to see the Malaysian Tigers to be in the final round of the Olympic games or the World Cup.

Go Harimau Malaya!! 

No comments: