Thursday, July 14, 2011

ASIA TOUR: Malaysia v Arsenal




It has been quite a while since I last updated an entry. I just finished watching the re-run of the Malaysian National team against Arsenal.

Arsenal are in Kuala Lumpur for their summer tour and the Malaysian Tigers are preparing for their World Cup qualifying against Singapore on the 23rd and 28th later this month. It was a good 'practice' match for both teams. Arsenal will head to China for another friendly game.

The score was 4-0. I was not too happy when I saw the highlights of the game last night but my view changed after I saw the re-run. Malaysia, ranked number 143 in the world are against Arsenal ! Who am I kidding ! They are a world class team !

I was listening a lot to the game commentator, John Barnes. I have to say I'd agree with most of the things that he said. This refers to his comments on the Malaysian team. Phrases like 'keeping the ball to gain confidence', 'spreading the ball wide' came a lot from the latter.

Malaysia start aggressively, too aggressive I reckon when a penalty was given to Arsenal when defender Aidil Zafuan fouled Wilshere inside the box as early as the 4th minute. The visitors were 1 up after Ramsey coolly slotted the ball into the net. Arsenal never came close after that. The rest is history ...

Back to the hosts team, what I like about this bunch of players is their attitude. Kunalan, Amirulhadi, captain Safiq Rahim who nearly sneaked a goal 'Ronaldinho'-like, Aidil Zafuan, Muslim Ahmad, Amar Rohizan and including the others really worked hard. I believe many of us read today's newspapers and the head coach was practically unhappy with his boys. This is a 'good' approach from him.

Malaysia is expected to lose. But when a coach like Rajagopal was left fuming it's just a good sign. Bare in mind we are preparing ourselves for the world cup qualifying games. Next opponent will be against  my favorite team, Liverpool. The boys should take advantage to play their game. This will also be an opportunity for them to pick up some tricks from the world class players.

Like what Mr Barnes said, the boys needs to play a more composed game. Need to know when to hold the ball and when to release it. Technically we can improve further. The team also needs to have its own identity or philosophy. Who ever plays will always play with the same style.

I'm sure they will perform much better against Liverpool on Saturday. Can't wait to see the game. Until then ... Go Harimau Malaya ! Malaysia Boleh !!

No comments: