Thursday, March 22, 2012

QPR v Liverpool - we are not ready

Call me 'sentimental' and I don't really give a damn. I have to admit I do have a 'soft spot' when it comes to Kenny Dalglish. But after last night's defeat to QPR I really needed something to shook me up! 

I was convinced that we could win after having convincing results against both Everton and Stoke City. I was confident enough that the boys has finally found their footing. But they proved me wrong. They succumbed to a 3-2 defeat after taking a 2 goal lead. It's not the lost that really bothers me, it's the way we lost the game that has been troubling me the whole day. 

I'm trying to find reasons to criticize the team. Not that I can't find any, but I just want to be able to get very angry towards the team. I just want to let them know how frustrated I was. I may be thousands of miles from Liverpool, I may not be English but Liverpool Football Club is the club that I support and love. 

Going back to last night's game, Liverpool started the game promisingly. It's not a surprise as they have been doing this all season. After 10 minutes, we roughly had 5 corners, well this may be incorrect because I just wanted to prove a point on how Liverpool were bossing the game. 

Just like previous games, half time ended with a 0-0 scoreline. The players returned and they continued searching for the first goal. It finally happened when Seb Coates scored a fantastic bicycle kick. Liverpool were 1-0. Strange thing was, QPR never looked 'damaged'. They keep on pressing. The fans on twitter were restless as we felt that they needed to get the second goal to kill of the game.  We got the second goal when Suarez danced passed the QPR defenders inside the box.  His shot hit the post but Downing was the first to react to the rebound. His shot was however saved by the QPR's custodian at goal which he couldn't properly held onto the ball and there was Kuyt to pounced on it.

That's it! Our hope of clinching the final place for next year's Champions League qualification round ended right after Kuyt's goal. What actually happened? Simple word ~ complacent. 

In so many situations this season, Liverpool struggled to get a goal. Statistically speaking, they've done everything right. Created tons of chances and dominating games. The big problem with the squad this season is they have not scored enough goals. 

So I'm guessing the whole team was in a shock of their lives. After what they've experience so far (in the league) and to be leading 2-0 was something that they've been dreaming to achieve. They thought they had won the game. 2 goals and a clean sheet and playing away. That would have been a massive result. I have to admit, as a supporter watching the game on Tv, I had the same feeling. 2-0 and game over. 

Obviously that was not the case now. QPR never gave up.Credit to them as they keep on playing their game. The whole team needs to take the blame for this bad result. 3 goals conceded in the last 15 minutes. This should have not happened! The first 2 goals from QPR was a result from a poor marking. Yes we are missing Agger but this should not be an excuse. We have been missing so many players through injury and suspension but we were good at keeping clean sheets. Why now? Why 3 goals in 15 minutes? 7 goals were scored against us in the last 5 games. 

The players needs to admit that they have to forget about Champions League. They should focus on finishing as high as they can and try to get decent results until the end of the season. Their only real chance for glory is in the FA Cup. 

As a fan I am disappointed but this will not make me stop loving the club. The only thing that we can do now is stop lying to ourselves. We have to start telling ourselves this season is a failure. In terms of standards, we failed. We can't keep on saying if only the chances we created were converted. Otherwise we would be comfortably sitting amongst the top 4. The fact is we are now sitting at 7th. We are not good enough to claim the Champions League spot. If we continue to play like this next season we will be slaughtered in the Europa League as well.

Reality check, Liverpool's standard is higher and this is not the Liverpool Football Club that we would like to see. We are not Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United or Man City. We are a mediocre team, for now. Even our fighting spirits are not as obvious as the likes of QPR, Wolves, Swansea and the other clubs. 

I might be harsh but boys, please prove me wrong. 


No comments: